Venison Tenderloin with Mushroom and Brandy Sauce Recipe
Feeds 2 (generous portions) or 4 for a lighter meal
2 packs Wild and Game venison tenderloin medallions (8 medallions). If you can, keep these out of the fridge for half an hour before cooking so they reach room temperature.
4 tbsp brandy
150 ml double cream
300 ml beef stock
4 garlic cloves, minced
400g mushrooms, sliced, stalks removed
2 echalion shallots, finely chopped
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
A knob of butter
A glug or two of olive oil
Salt and plenty of pepper
1. Fry the tenderloins in the butter and oil on a medium heat for about 2 minutes each side, then remove and set aside.
2. Add the shallot to the pan and fry onion until soft.
3. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
4. Add the mushrooms – cook until soft.
5. Add brandy and cook for a few minutes until reduced.
6. Add the beef stock and the mushroom ketchup.
7. Add the venison and cook gently for 5 minutes until heated through.
8. Add cream, heat gently and stir for a minute.
9. Adjust the seasoning (add plenty of pepper) and serve with vegetables of your choice.