Pot Roasted Grouse with Sherry and Berry Sauce Recipe
A deliciously hearty pot-roasted grouse with sherry and berry sauce. Give it a go for yourself.
Feeds 2-4 depending on whether you want a whole grouse each (I do!).
2 Wild and Game grouse
8-10 rashers of streaky unsmoked bacon or pancetta
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
One medium carrot, sliced
200ml chicken stock
2 level tbsp cranberry sauce
4 tbsp sweet sherry
1 tbsp cassis
1 tsp mixed herbs
1.5 tsp tbsp mushroom ketchup (or to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
2. Wrap the bacon or pancetta around the grouse.
3. Using a hob to oven pot, fry the grouse until browned then set aside.
4. Add the onion, celery and carrot to the pot and fry until soft.
5. Add the herbs and garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute.
6. Add the sherry, cranberry sauce and cassis and cook for a few minutes until it reduces slightly, and the cranberry sauce has melted into the liquid.
7. Pour in the stock and add the mushroom ketchup. Taste the sauce and add a bit more ketchup if needed.
8. Add the grouse to the pan and put the lid on.
9. Cook for 25 minutes. Serve with vegetables of your choice.