A delicious wild boar and chickpea stew recipe to keep you warm this winter. Give it a go.
1 500g pack of Ben Rigby diced wild boar from Wild and Game
1 tin of chickpeas
1 onion, diced
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp mixed dried herbs
1 bay leaf
1 stick of celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 glass of red wine
3 tbsp tomato puree
250ml chicken stock
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius, gas mark 2.
2. Put a Dutch oven or similar oven-proof, lidded pot on the hob and pour in enough olive oil to thinly cover the bottom. Add the onion, celery, and carrot and cook for a few minutes until softened.
3. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, then add the meat and cook until lightly browned.
4. Add the herbs, bay leaf, stock, tomatoes, and tomato puree, along with the sugar.
5. Heat until bubbling then put the lid on and place in the oven for 2.5 hours.
6. Remove and serve with mashed potato, polenta, or rice.