A dish you and your family will love. Give this venison and red wine casserole recipe a go today.
500g diced venison from Wild and Game
1 large onion, diced
2 generous tbsp plain flour
2 large parsnips, chopped into big chunks
3 carrots, chopped into big chunks
2 tsp minced garlic
250ml red wine
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
500ml beef stock
Salt and pepper
Olive or vegetable oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, gas mark 3.
2. Head a glug or two of oil in a Dutch oven or similar hob and oven-proof lidded pot. Fry the onion until soft.
3. Toss the meat in the flour until coated and tip into the pan. Cook until browned.
4. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
5. Add the wine and let it bubble for a few minutes.
6. Add the stock, vegetables, mushroom ketchup, and bay leaf.
7. Heat until bubbling then put the lid on and put the pot in the oven for 2 hours. Check and stir it occasionally and add more stock or water if it starts to look dry.
8. Adjust seasoning and serve with vegetables of your choice.