A delicious toad in the hole recipe with a twist that you and your family will love.
140g plain flour
4 medium eggs, beaten
200 ml milk
Half a tsp salt
4 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
16 Wild and Game pigs in blankets – about 350g (less is fine)
For the gravy
4 medium onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
1 tbsp cornflour
A few drops of gravy browning (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 220 degrees centigrade.
2. If they have not previously been cooked, place the pigs in blankets in a roasting tin with the oil and cook for about 10 minutes until very lightly browned. If they are already cooked, heat the oil for the first few minutes then add the pigs in blankets for about 5 minutes.
3. In a food processor, combine the flour, eggs, milk and salt and whizz until you have a smooth batter.
4. Take the tin out of the oven and pour in the batter.
5. Return to the oven for 20 minutes.
6. While the toad is cooking, make the gravy. Fry the onions in the oil for 10 minutes until very soft and golden (but not burnt).
7. Add the sherry and cook for a couple of minutes until reduced.
8. Add the stock and mushroom ketchup and heat until bubbling.
9. Mix the cornflour with some of the stock until smooth, then stir it into the pan. Keep heating and stirring until the gravy thickens. Add some gravy browning, if desired, for a darker colour.
10. Keep cooking the gravy gently until the toad is cooked.
11. Serve the toad smothered in the gravy.