A delicious harissa venison with roasted vegetables and minted yoghurt sauce recipe. Give it a try today.
2 Wild and Game venison steaks
2 tbsp harissa
For the vegetables:
2 carrots, diced
2 sweet potatoes, diced
1 large onion, cut into large chunks
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 parsnips, diced
1 can of chickpeas
A couple of sprigs of fresh thyme
6 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp harissa
Salt and pepper
For the mint sauce
6 tbsp plain yoghurt
A handful of mint, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
1.5 tsp lemon juice
1. Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees Celsius, gas mark 7
2. Take the steaks out of the fridge, coat in harissa, season and leave them at room temperature for half an hour.
3. Place the carrots, sweet potatoes and parsnips in a pan of boiling water and set the timer for 5 minutes.
4. Put 2 tbsp olive oil on a baking tray or roasting tin and place in the oven while the vegetables are in the pan.
4. Drain the veg, put back in the pan and add the chickpeas, onions, thyme and garlic, plus 4 tbsp of olive oil and the 3 tbsp of harissa. Put the lid on and shake until coated.
5. Tip the veg onto the baking sheet or roasting tin and add the vegetables. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked.
6. About 15 minutes before the vegetables are cooked, place a grill pan over a high heat until very hot, then add the steaks and grill for 3 minutes, turning once. Then turn the heat down as low as it will go and continue cooking for 6 minutes, turning once. Remove from the pan and rest for 5 minutes.
7. Once the vegetables are cooked, slice the steaks on the diagonal and place on top of the vegetables. Serve with the yoghurt mint sauce and couscous.