Fancy something different this weekend? Give this delicious game rassolnik recipe a go! You and your family will love it.
1 pack Wild and Game diced game
1 bay leaf
Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
1.5l beef stock
120g pearl barley, rinsed.
1 large carrot, chopped
2 medium diced potatoes
100g finely diced dill peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 large carrot, grated
1 stick of celery, finely diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 tbsp tomato puree
A big handful of chopped fresh dill
100g creme fraiche (French if you can get it – it behaves better when heated)
6 spring onions, finely sliced
Salt and plenty of black pepper, to taste
1. Put the diced game in a pan with the stock, bay leaf and pepper. Bring to the boil and then lower to a gentle simmer and cook for 1 hour.
2. Get all the other ingredients ready while it’s cooking.
3. After 1 hour, add the pearl barley and cook for a further 45 minutes.
1. Add the chopped carrot, potatoes, and dill peppers. Put the lid on and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying or sauté pan and cook the carrot and celery for a couple of minutes until softening.
2. Stir in the tomato puree.
3. Tip into the pan, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes.
1. Add the dill, spring onions, and creme fraiche.
2. Season to taste and add a splash more water if too much liquid has gone.
3. Serve immediately.