Celebrate Pie Week with this delicious Wild & Game game pie recipe. You and your family will love this.
500g Wild and Game game mix
150ml red wine
500ml beef Stock
1.5 tbsp redcurrant jelly
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
80g bacon lardons
2 tbsp plain flour
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
150g mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 bay leaf.
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pack roll-out puff pastry.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C, gas mark 2.
2. Toss the meat in the flour
3. Heat a couple of glugs of olive oil in a pan and fry the onion until soft.
4. Add the bacon and cook for a few minutes until lightly cooked.
5. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
6. Add the meat and cook until browned. Towards the end, add the garlic for and cook for a minute before moving on to the next step.
7. Add the wine and stir, bubbling for a few minutes.
8. Add the stock, bay leaf, and herbs. Heat until bubbling.
9. Place a lid on the pan and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Take the lid off partway through but keep checking to ensure it doesn’t reduce too much. Add water if necessary.
10. Remove from the oven and turn the heat up to 220C, gas mark 7.
11. Place the game stew in a pie dish. Top with the pastry and brush with beaten egg.
12. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until browned.
13. Serve with vegetables of your choice.