Another delicious Grouse recipe. Perfect for a family Saturday night.
I pack of 6 Wild and Game grouse breast fillets
12 pancetta rashers
For the dal
4 rashers unsmoked bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
250g yellow split peas
2 tsp minced garlic
Half a tsp Turmeric
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
Salt to taste
1. Fry the onions for about 5 minutes until very soft.
2. Add the bacon and cook for about 3 more minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
4. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add the split peas and 2 litres of cold water.
6. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 1 h 40 minutes or until the peas are soft. Stir regularly and add more water if required.
7. When the peas are nearly cooked, wrap each grouse fillet in 2 rashers of pancetta.
8. Heat the olive oil and pan fry the grouse breasts for about 3 minutes each side.
9. Taste the dal and add salt to taste.
10. Serve with nan bread or buttered toast.