Venison Stew With Brandy and Red Wine Recipe
A delicious Venison Stew recipe, perfect for a cold winters night.
A 500g pack of Ben Rigby diced venison from Wild and Game
1 medium onion, sliced
80g cubed pancetta
2 tbsp plain flour
500 ml beef stock
1 glass red wine
2 tbsp brandy
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius, gas mark 2.
2. Toss the venison in the flour.
3. Heat a glug or two of olive oil in a Dutch oven or similar oven proof lidded pan and cook the pancetta and onion until soft.
4. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add the venison and cook until lightly browned.
6. Add the brandy and wine and cook for a few minutes until slightly reduced.
7. Add the Dijon mustard and stir thoroughly.
8. Add the stock. Stir and heat until bubbling.
9. Put the lid on and transfer the pot to the oven for 2 hours. Check part way through to ensure it’s not drying out (add more stock if it is).
10. When the venison is tender, remove the pot from the oven and season the stew to taste.
11. Serve with vegetables of your choice.