Venison Steaks with Mushroom Sauce
Venison steak is not only incredibly delicious, it’s also a very lean meat and low in fat. A great alternative to red meat that is higher in fat. The mushroom sauce in this recipe compliments the venison beautifully.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Pack of 2 venison steaks from Wild and Game
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms, stalks removed, finely chopped
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- A quarter tsp Colman’s mustard (or more if using a milder brand)
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Half an Onion, Sliced.
- Fry the onion in olive oil for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and have reduced in size.
- Add the stock, mushroom ketchup, lemon juice, mustard and pepper.
- Take off the heat and stir in the crème fraiche. Season to taste. If necessary, heat gently to warm it all through.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high.
- Pour olive oil on the venison steaks and ensure they are well coated on each side.
- Cook the venison for 3 minutes on each side, seasoning each side as the meat cooks.
- Remove and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Serve with the sauce and seasonal vegetables of your choice.