Venison, Port and Chestnut Casserole with Dumplings Recipe
A real winter warmer for those cold nights. You and your family will love this venison recipe.
500g diced venison
2 tbsp plain flour
180g cooked chestnuts
80g cubed pancetta
1 onion, sliced
150g carrots, chopped or whole Chantenay carrots
500ml beef stock
1 tsp smooth Dijon mustard
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
For the dumplings
250g self-raising flour
125g suet (beef or vegetable)
1 .5 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp sea salt
A generous helping of freshly ground black pepper
About 125-150ml water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4.
2. Heat a couple of glugs of olive oil in an oven and hob proof lidded cooking pot.
3. Sauté the pancetta and onion until the onion is soft.
4. Toss the venison in the flour then add to the pot. Cook until browned.
5. Add the Port and bubble for a few minutes.
6. Add the beef stock, mustard, chestnuts, carrots, and mushroom ketchup. Stir and heat until bubbling.
7. Place the pot, lid on, in the oven for about 1.5 hours until the venison is tender. Check periodically and if it starts to dry out, add some water. When you check the venison, taste the sauce, and adjust the seasoning.
8. Once you’re happy with the venison, make the dumplings: mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl then gradually add water until you have a soft dough. If you need more than 150ml, keep adding water until you’ve reached the desired consistency.
9. Shape the dumplings into 10-12 balls and pop on top of the venison.
10. Put the lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes, then serve.