Venison Fillet Roast Recipe
A super tasty Venison fillet roast recipe with a special cassis sauce. Why not mix up your Sundays and give this recipe a go?
1 Wild and Game rolled venison fillet
Half a medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 350g)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 onions, quartered
A handful of fresh thyme
A knob of butter
For the sauce
2 tbsp crème de cassis
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
500ml beef stock
1 tsp cornflour
1. Remove the fillet from the fridge half an hour before you intend to start cooking.
2. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6/200C
3. Oil a baking sheet and put it in the oven to heat up.
4. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes then drain and tip back into the pan. Add the onion, butternut squash, thyme, and sweet potato, and pour on enough olive oil to coat everything. Season generously and toss until everything is coated.
5. Place on the baking sheet in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. When the time is nearly up, rub the fillet in olive oil and season it.
7. Melt the butter and a glug of olive oil in a frying pan and brown the fillet, turning it and cooking it for 2 minutes.
8. Place the fillet on an oiled tray in the oven and roast 20 minutes (this will cook it medium rare). In the pan in which you fried the venison, add the sauce ingredients except for the cornflour and heat, bubbling fiercely, for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Mix the cornflour with water and stir into the sauce, heating, until it thickens.
9. When the fillet has been in the oven for 20 minutes, remove it and let it rest for 5 minutes.
10. While the fillet is resting, let the vegetables cook a little longer if necessary.
11. Slice the fillet and serve with the vegetables and sauce.