Rolled Venison Recipe
Cook something different, give this delicious rolled venison recipe a go, you and your family will love it.
2 Wild and Game venison steaks
1 small onion, finely diced
5 prunes, finely chopped
1 tbsp brandy
1 tsp minced garlic
1 rasher unsmoked bacon, finely chopped
4 rashers unsmoked bacon, whole
2 tbsp double cream
A knob of butter
A glug of olive oil
Vegetables of your choice
Gravy if desired.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6. Heat some butter and olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion until soft.
2. Whizz the mushrooms in a food processor until they resemble mince – or chop them finely.
3. Add the mushrooms and finely chopped bacon to the pan and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid and it’s evaporated.
4. Add the brandy and cook until it’s bubbled off.
5. Add the herbs and double cream and cook until you have quite a stiff mixture – you don’t want it to be too moist.
6. Cut into each venison steak horizontally but don’t cut all the way – leave a flap at the edge.
7. Stuff each steak with the stuffing mixture then roll each steak in two rashers of bacon and secure with a skewer.
8. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes depending on how well done you’d like it.
9. Serve with accompaniments of your choice.