Pheasant with Mango & Cream Sauce
Something a little bit different and perfect for the summer months – pheasant with a fruity mango and cream sauce. Boiling the pheasant allows the meat to get really tender and you’ll end up with a lovely stock you can freeze and use at a later date!
- 2 whole pheasants
- Jar of mango chutney
- Cream, fromage frais or yoghurt (optional)
- 2-3 limes (optional)
- Rice, green beans or green vegetables to serve
- Take 2 whole pheasants. Place in large pan of water. There should be enough water to half cover the pheasant. Add carrot, celery, onion and seasoning. Bring to boil and then gently simmer until cooked (approx one hour).
- Once cooked, take out the birds, keeping the stock. Pull the meat off the birds and tear or cut into small pieces.
- Put the pheasant pieces into an oven proof dish and pour over a jar of mango chutney. We use either Sharwood’s green label or Sharwood’s mango and lime.
- Spoon 2-3 ladles of stock over the pheasant and mango mixture, then add double cream to cover (or a mixture of cream, fromage frais or yogurt for a lighter option).
- Add quartered limes. Put into a medium oven until it is warmed through and bubbling. Serve with rice, and green beans or give Pak Choi a try.
Crafty cook tips – For a variation on a theme, substitute mango chutney and fromage frais for a wine and mushroom sauce, or use a can of condensed cream soup, extra pepper and mushrooms for Pheasant Stroganoff!