Our take on the traditional Russian dish, Beef Stroganoff. Using pheasant instead of beef makes the dish a lot lower in fat and is still filling even if you choose to skip the rice. Super quick and easy and could even be done in the slow cooker.
- 6 pheasant breasts
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 125g of mushrooms
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 100ml of sweet sherry
- 500ml pf chicken stock
- 65g of sour cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- Firstly, prepare the pheasant meat and slice the breasts into thin strips. Finely slice the mushrooms, heat a lug of oil in a pan and gently sauté the mushrooms.
- Add the onion and shallot to the pan and gently cook on a low heat for a further couple of minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the pan. Heat the remaining oil and butter, add the pheasant meat and brown. Once browned off set the meat aside.
- Add flour and mix in the pan until well blended. Gradually add the sherry and stock, ensuring that the mixture is smooth. Boil, then simmer to reduce the liquid by half and then add the meat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and heat over a medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Before serving turn off heat and stir in the sour cream. Serving suggestion: sprinkle with paprika and serve with rice.