Pheasant Oyakodon Recipe
Pheasant Oyakodon, this Japanese dish is traditionally made with chicken but works a treat with pheasant.
4 Wild and Game pheasant breasts
500g cooked Jasmine rice (2 microwave packs)
1 large onion, very finely sliced
200 ml dashi
2. 5 tbsp mirin
2. 5 tbsp dry sake
2. 5 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
4 spring onions, sliced
4 eggs, very lightly beaten
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda.
1. Chop the pheasant into pieces and sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda. Leave for 10 minutes to tenderise then thoroughly wash off the bicarb.
2. Combine the dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar in a pan.
3. When bubbling add the pheasant. Cook for 7 minutes.
4. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the egg, pop the lid on and cook gently for 1-2 minutes until the egg is just cooked but still a bit runny.
6. Serve on the rice, topped with the spring onion.