Ginny's Pheasant with Apples & Cream
Succulent pheasant with a rich apple and cream sauce. Perfect for a hearty, evening meal.
- 1 whole pheasant
- 50g of butter
- 2 shallots
- 2 Cox’s apples
- Pinch of sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml of calvados or apple brandy
- 200ml of double cream
- Salt and peeper to season
- Melt half the butter in a small casserole dish. Season the pheasant inside and out, place in the dish and brown gently on the hob for 5 minutes on each side.
- Peel and slice shallots finely and add to sweat gently with the pheasant.
- Peel the apples, cut into segments and remove core. Squeeze lemon juice over the apple segments and place the remaining apple peelings and core around the pheasant.
- Place the lid on the casserole and continue to cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove casserole lid, add Calvados or apple brandy to the pan. Let it bubble and evaporate the alcohol, then pour in the cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and braise pheasant gently in the cream on a low heat for a further 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and saute the apple segments with a pinch of sugar. Remove from the heat as soon as they start to colour.
- Lift the pheasant out of the casserole dish – ensure the juices drip into the cream and continue to lightly bubble the cream until reduced to a sauce.
- Joint the pheasant onto a serving dish and arrange the apples on top. Strain the sauce over the bird and serve with pilau rice.