Game Sausage and Pasta Bake Recipe
A delicious game sausage and pasta bake recipe you can enjoy on your own or with your family. Give it a go!
1 pack Wild and Game sausages, any variety, casings removed.
800g pasta (dry weight)
1 tsp minced garlic
2 medium onions or 1 large onion, diced
2 tins of tomatoes
150g Cheddar for topping the bake
For the sauce
1 litre milk
1 onion, cut in two, with 2 cloves stuck into it
1 bay leaf
360g extra mature Cheddar, grated
5 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C, gas mark 7.
2. Cook the pasta a minute or two less than advised on the pack instructions so it retains plenty of bite. Drain and set aside.
3. Put the milk in a pan and add the onion and bay leaf. Heat until gently simmering.
4. Heat a few glugs of olive oil in a pan and cook the onion until soft.
5. Add the sausages and cook, breaking them up with a spoon, until they no longer look raw.
6. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes and simmer while you make the cheese sauce.
8. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the flour. Stir until smooth.
9. Add the heated milk 1 ladleful at a time, stirring until smooth in between additions.
10. When all the milk is added, tip in the Cheddar and heat gently, stirring until the cheese has melted. Season to taste.
11. Layer the pasta, sausage sauce and cheese sauce in a large baking tin or lasagne dish. Finish with a layer of cheese sauce and top with the 150g of Cheddar.
12. Cook for 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Serve with crusty bread and a salad if desired.