Game Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese Recipe
Get creative this weekend and give this tasty Game Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese Recipe a go.
1 pack of 4 Wild and Game pheasant and venison burgers
400g macaroni (dry weight)
250g extra mature Cheddar cheese for the sauce, grated
150g Cheddar cheese for topping
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 large onion, diced
1 onion, cut in two
1 bay leaf
5 tbsp plain flour
A glug or two of olive oil
½ tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
Optional extra toppings
Crispy onions 25g
Panko breadcrumbs 25g
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C, gas mark 7.
2. Push the cloves into the onion and put it in a pan with the bay leaf and the milk. Heat until simmering gently.
3. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Stir until smooth. Stir in the mustard.
4. Add the warmed milk one ladle at a time, stirring between additions to keep the sauce smooth.
5. When all the milk is added, tip in the cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste.
6. In a wok or similar large pan heat the olive oil and fry the onions until soft.
7. Add the burgers and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until thoroughly cooked and nicely browned.
8. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni for a couple of minutes less than advised on the pack instructions.
9. Add the paprika to the pan with the burgers and cook for 30 seconds. Season generously.
10. Tip the cheese sauce into the pan with the burgers and stir, then tip in the macaroni and stir again.
11. Tip the mixture into a large oven-proof dish and top with the cheese and, if using, the crispy onions and breadcrumbs.
12. Bake for 15 minutes and serve immediately.