British Pie Week 2018
James’ Game and Ox Pie
In honour of British Pie Week, try out this delicious game and ox pie from Wild and Game. The best part is you can use any game meat that you have spare. Once you’ve tried it you’ll be hooked!
- 1kg of assorted game
- 500g of ox kidneys
- 2 chopped onions
- 250ml of beef stock
- 50ml of red wine
- 50ml of good quality local beer or ale
- 1tsp of Worcester sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 5 – 10g of plain flour
- beef dripping
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet of puff pastry
- Chopped mixed herbs (optional)
- Trim the game meat, remove skin and sinews and cut into 2-3cm cubes. Peel and trim kidneys, remove any fat and cut into chunks.
- Heat two pans with a little oil until at smoking point and add the beef dripping. Roll the meat in seasoned flour then seal in one pan.
- In the other pan fry off the onions until caramelised then add the sealed game meat, kidneys, thyme and red wine. De-glaze for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Skim and cover with the lid and simmer until the game is tender but still in whole chunks.
- Add the beer and Worcester sauce. Skim the mixture again and simmer for a further 10 minutes so it can reduce down a little.
- Check and adjust the seasoning (add optional herbs if you wish), pour into a pie dish and cover with puff pastry.
- Brush with an egg or milk wash and bake until the pastry is golden brown.