Pan-Fried Grouse with Cranberry and Mushrooms Recipe
A quick and easy pan-fried grouse recipe, perfect with a glass of red.
4 Wild and Game grouse breasts
A small knob of butter (about 1 tsp)
A glug of olive oil
1 tbsp cranberry sauce
6 rashers pancetta
300g chestnut mushrooms, stalks removed
2 echalion shallots, finely sliced
3 tbsp creme fraiche
2 tsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp dry sherry
Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve: fresh bread – ideally sourdough.
1. Wrap each grouse breast in 1 rasher of pancetta. Chop the remaining two rashers of pancetta and set aside.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the grouse breasts for 1.5 – 2min each side. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the shallot and the remaining pancetta to the pan and cook until the shallot is soft.
4. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook until the mushrooms are soft and glossy.
5. Add the sherry and cook for a couple of minutes until reduced.
6. Stir in the cranberry sauce.
7. Add the crème fraiche and salt and pepper. Stir and heat through.
8. Serve the grouse breasts on top of the mushroom mix with buttered sourdough toast or bread of your choice.