A delicious pan-fried grouse recipe with puy lentils and pancetta.
6 Wild and Game grouse breast fillets
12 rashers pancetta or unsmoked streaky bacon
300g Puy lentils (uncooked)
160g cubed pancetta
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
800ml chicken stock
A glug or two of olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry up the onion, carrot and celery until soft.
2. Add the bacon, garlic and thyme and cook for a couple more minutes.
3. Add the sherry vinegar and cook for another minute or so.
4. Add the stock and lentils.
5. Cook on a medium heat, stirring often, for 35-40 minutes until lentils are cooked.
6. Wrap each breast fillet in 2 rashers of pancetta or streaky bacon.
7. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan.
8. Pan fry each grouse breast for about 3 minutes each side.
9. Serve with the lentils and crusty bread.