You can buy our delicious Pheasant Lasagne ready-made, but if you’d like to make your own, this Venison Lasagne is a welcome change from beef mince.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 500g Wild and Game venison mince
- 150g onion, finely diced
- 150g smoked bacon, finely diced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 250g passata
- 50g tomato puree
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 100g carrot, finely diced
- 50g cornflour
- 75g butter
- 500g mature Cheddar, grated
- 2 pints of milk
For assembling the lasagne
- 250g grated Cheddar
- 15-20 lasagne sheets
- For the meat sauce cook the onion, celery and carrot for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add bacon and venison, cook for 5 to 7 mins, then add the wine and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, passata and puree and a splash of water, if needed. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Heat the milk in a pan. Melt the butter in another pan and stir in the cornflour.
- Add the milk ladle by ladle, stirring in between each addition until smooth.
- Reduce heat, add the cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste.
- Next, assemble the lasagne. Put a thin layer of cheese sauce in the bottom of a lasagne dish and top with a thin layer of meat sauce. Top with lasagne sheets.
- Repeat until all ingredients have been used up, finishing with a layer of sauce. Top with 250g cheese.
- Bake in an oven at 200 C/fan 180/gas mark 6 for 30 – 40 minutes until bubbling and browned.
- Serve with a green salad and garlic ciabatta.