Our Christmas stuffing recipe with a twist. We use pheasant sausage meat rather than pork sausages to pack an extra punch of flavour. The chestnuts also add a lovely texture. Simple to make and can even be prepared in advance of the big day.
- 1lb 2 oz of game sausage meat – you can choose from our pheasant sausages. We opted for Pheasant & Pear Sausages.
- 4oz of butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- 4oz of mushrooms finely diced
- 4 slices of streaky bacon cut into strips
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp of chopped chives
- Small tin of chestnuts (approx. 15 pieces)
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 slices of bread, crusts cut off and soaked in 250ml of milk
- Salt and pepper to season
- Fry the bacon, onions and mushrooms in butter until soft and the mix is dry. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes then put to one side to cool.
- Mix the bread and egg yolks into the sausage meat by hand, until thoroughly mixed. Add the onion mix, herbs, chestnuts and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Roll the mix into a sausage shape in silicone paper (6cm in diameter). Wrap in foil and cook in the oven at 165C for 45 to50 minutes. Take out and leave to cool down for half an hour. Serve with your Christmas Lunch!