This hearty partridge and sausage casserole is perfect during those cold winter months. If you don’t have time to prepare the stock, you can always substitute with stock cubes. Instead of chipolata sausages you can also swap with our pheasant sausages!
- 3 partridge
- Half pint of stock
- 1 oz butter
- ¼ lb (4 oz) chipolata sausages
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 rasher of bacon
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- bouquet garni
- 4-6 croutons fried bread
For the stuffing:
- 1 shallot
- 1 oz of butter
- 3 oz of white breadcrumbs
- 1 oz of raisins
- 1 oz of chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp of chopped parsley
- 1 small egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bone out the partridges leaving the leg bones in. Spread out birds on worktop.
- To make the stock place the carcasses in a pan. Roughly chop the onion and carrot and add to pan along with the bouquet garni. Cover with water and simmer on a low heat for 2-3 hours with the lid on. Strain off the liquid and set aside.
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 3 / 325F / 165C.
- Prepare the stuffing by firstly softening the chopped shallot in butter. Mix with the breadcrumbs, raisons, parsley and walnuts. Bind together with the egg and season to taste.
- Spread the stuffing onto the partridges and sew up or secure with poultry pins. Heat the butter in a flameproof casserole dish, place the sausages in the dish and brown slowly. Add the partridges to the dish and brown off. Add the onion, carrot and bacon, cook for 2-3 minutes then dust with flour, add bouquet garni and stock. Cover casserole tightly and braise slowly for 45-60 mins in the oven.
- Serve with creamy mash potato and your choice of greens and enjoy.
Whole game meat as well as breast fillets are now available to buy online. Browse the range.