In honour of UK Sausage Week, we’ve chosen some our favourite sausage recipes, but we’ve swapped traditional pork sausages for our delicious, seasonal pheasant sausages.
One Pot Sausage Casserole
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 12 Wild and Game Pheasant & Venison Sausages
- 1 onion
- 1 can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 150ml of chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- Zest of 1 small orange
- 2 tbsp of fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages for 4-5 mins until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Cook the chopped onion in the same pan for 5-6 mins until softened, adding a splash of water if it starts to catch.
- Add the chickpeas, tinned tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Return the sausages to the pan, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 5-6 mins until the sausages are cooked through.
- Add the garlic, orange zest and parsley, then serve in shallow bowls with crusty bread.
Classic Toad in the Hole
- 140g of plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 300ml of milk
- 2 tsp of Wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 8 Wild and Game Pheasant & Pear Sausages
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- Pre heat the oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9. Whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, mustard and seasoning, until smooth, then leave to rest for 30 mins.
- Pour the oil into a roasting tin. Brush the oil all over the sides and bottom, then place in the oven. When the roasting tin is very hot and smoking, spread the sausages evenly in the tin and cook for 5 mins.
- Give the rested batter a stir and pour into the hot tin – be careful as it may spit. Sprinkle over the rosemary, then place in the middle of the oven. Cook for 25 mins, then check. If needed, cook for a further 5-10 mins. Cook until puffed up and brown and make sure the batter is completely cooked through. Serve with seasonal veg and gravy.
Sausage & Mushroom Pasta
- 400g of your favourite pasta (we used fusilli)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 6 Wild and Game Pheasant & White Wine Sausages
- 250g of chestnut mushrooms
- Pack of cherry tomato
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, then fry the sausages and mushrooms for 5 mins, until golden.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about another 3 mins on a high heat until the tomatoes pop and start to form a sauce. Season to taste, then add the herbs and drained pasta and stir well. As simply as that!