This rich, seasonal dish, combining pheasant with chutney and red wine, is just what you need on a cold autumn day and the slow cooking means the pheasant meat is beautifully tender. Pair with your favourite glass of red and enjoy.
- 2 pheasants
- 3 large onions peeled and sliced into rings
- 6-8 tbsp of peach/mango chutney
- 1-2 large glasses of red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 1-2tsp of cornflower, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Season the pheasants well with salt and pepper and, in large cast iron/flame proof casserole dish, brown the birds all over in the sunflower oil and then set aside.
- Fry the onion rings gently in the same pot until slightly coloured and soft. Sit the pheasants on top of the onions and spread a thick layer of chutney over them.
- Pour over the red wine, pop the lid on and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours. If you would like a thicker sauce, sift in a couple of teaspoons of cornflower. Serve with rice or mash and plenty of seasonal vegetables.
Inspired by our lovely recipe ideas? Order whole pheasant or pheasant breasts online today from the online shop.