Recipe Idea: Pot Roast Pheasant with Root Vegetables
Can you believe we’re into October already?! Pheasant shooting season has arrived! Now that the evenings are getting colder and the nights are drawing in, try out this deliciously, simple pot roast pheasant with root vegetable recipe. Choose your favourite root vegetables and the oven does all the hard work for you!
- 2 oven-ready pheasants
- A choice of root vegetables – shallots, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, celery etc.
- Game or chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C or gas mark 4. Chop enough of your favourite root vegetables into half inch chunks to fill the bottom of a roasting tray big enough for 2 whole pheasants. We opted for shallots, onions, carrots, celery, parsnip and a couple of cloves of garlic.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper and stir the vegetables until well coated. Roast in the oven for 15 mins, turn the vegetable over then roast for a further 10 mins.
- Add both the pheasants, breast down, and cover the tray with foil, crimping the edges to ensure an airtight seal.
- Cook for 20 mins at 180C. Then remove the tray, turn the oven down to 130C and cook for at least a further 2 hours.
- 15 mins before serving, drain off most of the liquid from the pan (reserving for later), turn the pheasants over and cover with foil. Put back in the oven for 15 mins and the breasts should brown.
- Strain the fat from the pan juices, add stock as required to produce a thin gravy. Remove the roasting tray from the oven and allow the birds to rest for 10 mins. Carve the meat and serve with the root vegetables, your favourite potato dish and some greens.
Remember you can now buy whole peasant, as well as pheasant breast online. Order today.