This classic combination of pheasant meat with apricot is a winning pairing! Strong gamy flavours work really well with all kinds of fruit and this dish is no exception.
The secret to a good stuffing is to use really good quality sausage meat, ideally from your local butcher.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1lb of sausage meat
- 2Ib of canned apricots (chopped)
- 1 oz of butter
- 3 shallots (finely chopped)
- 1oz breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp of double cream
- 1 tsp of mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp of chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp of soft brown sugar
- 8 fl oz of dry white wine
- 8 pheasant breasts
- 8 rashers of bacon
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4.
- To make the stuffing; melt the butter in a pan add the finely chopped shallots and the sausage meat and cook until it loses the pinkness. Add the breadcrumbs, cream, herbs, hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons of the apricots, cook for a further 5 – 10 mins.
- Layer out the bacon rashers onto a baking tray, put one layer of pheasant breast, pile on the stuffing, place another layer of pheasant breast on top and wrap around with bacon.
- Cook in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes.
- To make the sauce; put the apricot can syrup, sugar, white wine and butter in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the rest of the apricots and simmer for 5 mins.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool for a few mins and then rub through a strainer. Pour the sauce over the meat after the pheasant has been cooking for 20 mins. Cook for a further 20-25 mins.
- Serve with your choice of potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Enjoy!