A delicious Wild and Game recipe for rolled breast of pheasant wrapped in Parma ham with a beautiful confit leg with apricot & parsley stuffing.
- 1 whole pheasant
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Peel of 1 orange
- 1 jar of goose fat
- 10 dried apricots
- 6 parsley leaves
- 6 slices of Parma ham
- 6 savoy cabbage leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 100C/80C fan. Remove the legs and breasts from the pheasant.
- Place the legs in an ovenproof dish with the garlic, thyme and orange zest. Season with salt and pepper. Cover in goose fat and pop in the oven for 3 hours, until tender.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the breast and sandwich the meat between a double layer of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds, refresh in iced water to retain the colour.
- On a new triple layer of cling film place 3 sheets of Parma ham, followed by the flattened pheasant breast and 3 blanched cabbage leaves. Put to one side.
- When the pheasant legs are cooked, leave to cool. Remove the skin and strip the meat off the bones. Mix with some chopped parsley, a little goose fat and the chopped apricots. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully smooth the stuffing over the cabbage leaves, roll it up with the cling film into a barrel shape. Tie the ends of the cling film with string and poach in boiling salted water for 12 minutes, then chill in iced water.
- Once chilled, remove from clingfilm and roast at 180C/160C fan for 12 minutes. You can leave in the fridge for 24 hours before roasting, if you have the time. Serve with dauphinoise potatoes, savoy cabbage and game jus with berries.